Lauberhorn ski races get green light despite more Covid cases
There will be downhill ski action in the Swiss resort of Wengen next weekend despite Covid-19.
Keystone / Anthony Anex
This year’s edition of the FIS Ski World Cup in the Swiss resort of Wengen is to go ahead next weekend as planned, despite a recent rise in coronavirus cases there.
This content was published on
1 minute
Keystone-SDA/jc
Doubts had been raised over the weekend because of the rise in Covid-19 infections, including the new more infectious strain reportedly brought in by British tourists in Wengen. But after consultations, authorities announced on Sunday that it will go ahead. However, there will be no public, no hospitality on site, and comprehensive testing, they say.
Swiss Ski President Urs Lehmann said he was “extremely relieved” that all parties had given a green light. “The specialists from canton Bern did an excellent job and found out where the source of the virus was,” he said. “The situation in Wengen is under control, thanks to comprehensive tests that will continue to be carried out. That’s why we can be confident.”
Athletes are due to start arriving on Monday and the first downhill training is scheduled for Tuesday.
The January 15-17 international events include the legendary Lauberhorn run, the oldest and longest race on the FIS Ski World Cup.
More
More
How a village profits from a giant downhill ski race
This content was published on
How dependent is the mountain village of Wengen on the Lauberhorn World Cup downhill ski race, that took place this weekend?
What factors should be taken into account when inheriting Swiss citizenship abroad?
Should there be a limit to the passing on of Swiss citizenship? Or is the current practice too strict and it should still be possible to register after the age of 25?
Is your place of origin, your Heimatort, important to you?
Every Swiss citizen has a Heimatort, a place of origin, but many have never visited theirs. What’s your relationship with your Heimatort? What does it mean to you?
Swiss federal prosecutor bemoans shortage of investigators
This content was published on
The Swiss Office of the Attorney General complains of unresolved shortage of investigators that hinder its efforts to prosecute serious criminals.
ECHR condemns Swiss failure to protect woman from violence
This content was published on
Switzerland did not provide a woman with sufficient protection against her partner who had been violent in the past, rules the ECHR.
This content was published on
In Switzerland, 2.2 million people are affected by non-communicable diseases, partly because people are not eating a balanced diet.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.