Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter and ex-UEFA President Michel Platini will stand before the Federal Criminal Court to face corruption charges over a CHF2 million payment made by FIFA to Platini in 2011.
This content was published on
2 minutes
Reuters/Keystone-SDA/dos
Português
pt
Blatter e Platini enfrentam juízes suíços em junho
Both Blatter and Platini have repeatedly denied wrongdoing in the past over the incident, for which the Swiss Attorney General’s Office indicted them last November.
Prosecutors allege Blatter improperly arranged the CHF2 million ($.2.15 million) payment to Platini for consulting work done between 1998 and 2002. The two men claim the payment was for backdated salary.
Both are suspected of fraud and misappropriation amid what became part of the biggest corruption scandal to shake football’s world governing body, which is based in Zurich.
Blatter, who led FIFA for 17 years, resigned in 2015, followed by Platini as president of UEFA in 2016, shortly after stepping down from running for the FIFA presidency. Both were handed six-year bans for ethics violations.
The trial before the Swiss Federal Criminal Court is due to start on June 8 and last until June 22, the court said on Tuesday.
More
More
Ex-FIFA and UEFA bosses charged by Swiss justice
This content was published on
Former top football officials Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini have been accused of fraud and other offences by Swiss prosecutors.
Platini’s Swiss lawyer, Dominic Nellen, said he was looking forward to the trial.
“We are confident that the outcome of the trial will establish the perfect good faith of Mr. Michel Platini in this affair, which has been fabricated to remove him from the presidency of FIFA,” Nellen told the Reuters news agency.
The office of Blatter’s attorney declined to comment. At the time of his indictment, Blatter said he was optimistic about the court procedure and he hoped that the facts would finally be fully established.
What factors should be taken into account when inheriting Swiss citizenship abroad?
Should there be a limit to the passing on of Swiss citizenship? Or is the current practice too strict and it should still be possible to register after the age of 25?
Trump tariffs: ‘I’m a bit perplexed’, says former US ambassador to Switzerland
This content was published on
The former US ambassador to Switzerland, Edward McMullen, says he is optimistic for the Alpine country with regard to the 31% tariff on imports imposed by US President Donald Trump.
Swiss Federal Court upholds Beny Steinmetz’s bribery conviction
This content was published on
Switzerland's highest court has upheld the conviction of French-Israeli mining magnate Beny Steinmetz for bribery of foreign public officials.
This content was published on
The Trump administration has imposed a 31% tariff on imports from Switzerland. Swiss President Karin Keller-Sutter has warned against "giving in to alarmism" in an interview published on Saturday,
This content was published on
Scientists have shown that bonobos combine their calls into complex sound sequences that resemble combinations of human words.
This content was published on
US parliamentarians have threatened the UN Human Rights Council with sanctions similar to those against the International Criminal Court (ICC).
This content was published on
Thanks to abundant snowfall, lift operators benefited from increased visitor numbers, with the number of guests jumping by 12% year-on-year.
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.
Read more
More
FIFA sues Blatter and Platini for CHF2 million
This content was published on
The payment was conducted between the two former FIFA executives in 2011 and was instrumental in the duo receiving bans from football activities four years later. Both men have repeatedly denied that they did anything wrong. Last month, FIFA’s governance committee called for the body to take legal action on the payment, noting that the…
FIFA urges Swiss authorities to press ahead with Blatter investigation
This content was published on
The international football federation made arguments in favour of an investigation, after prosecutors decided to abandon part of the proceedings.
FIFA loses court bid to revive probe of Blatter over media rights deal
This content was published on
A Swiss court has rejected world football body FIFA’s bid to revive a criminal probe against its former president, Sepp Blatter.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.