Intensive care capacity close to overload, warns top Swiss Covid-19 advisor
Martin Ackermann as seen at a press conference in Bern last week
Keystone / Anthony Anex
Switzerland’s Covid-19 scientific taskforce chief says hospitals across the Alpine country could be swamped with new coronavirus cases in the next two or three weeks unless the situation improves.
This content was published on
2 minutes
Keystone-SDA/sb
“We estimate that the capacity limit in intensive care in hospitals will be reached between November 5-18 if nothing changes from the current situation,” Martin Ackermann told reporters in Bern on Friday. “We don’t have time to wait any longer.”
The number of new Covid-19 cases has risen sharply in recent days. A total of 6,634 new cases – a record – were reported by the Swiss health authorities on Friday.
They confirmed that the country was now more badly affected than its neighbours: it now has 495 cases per 100,000 inhabitants. Only France approaches these levels at 450 cases per 100,000.
On Friday, Ackermann said that hospitalisations were doubling week by week. The same goes for the number of intensive care cases and deaths due to Covid-19. Over the past 14 days 689 people were hospitalised, and 75 died.
Overall, there have now been more than 100,000 cases – 103,653 cases to be precise – since the start of the epidemic and 1,877 deaths.
Contact to a minimum
He urged people to keep their contact with others to a minimum, while the head of the association of cantonal doctors asked people to avoid “delicate situations”, by keeping to social distancing and avoid risky sports and leisure activities.
Testing and tracing capacity is stretched, with officials appealing to those who test positive to personally inform people with whom they have had contact.
Ackermann told reporters that Switzerland’s containment strategy was no longer working due to the high number of cases. For the virus reproduction rate to drop below 1 again, it is necessary to reduce professional and private contacts by half, he said.
Cantons, mostly in western Swiss regions, imposed additional drastic measures on Friday to combat the virus. This follows the Federal Council’s announcement of several national measures on October 18, like the compulsory wearing of masks in public buildings. It is due to set out further measures next October 28.
More
More
Some Swiss cantons tighten Covid-19 measures, others wait
This content was published on
While some Swiss cantons imposed more drastic anti-coronavirus measures on Friday, others have decided to wait. New cases have spiked to over 6,600.
What factors should be taken into account when inheriting Swiss citizenship abroad?
Should there be a limit to the passing on of Swiss citizenship? Or is the current practice too strict and it should still be possible to register after the age of 25?
Is your place of origin, your Heimatort, important to you?
Every Swiss citizen has a Heimatort, a place of origin, but many have never visited theirs. What’s your relationship with your Heimatort? What does it mean to you?
ECHR condemns Swiss failure to protect woman from violence
This content was published on
Switzerland did not provide a woman with sufficient protection against her partner who had been violent in the past, rules the ECHR.
This content was published on
In Switzerland, 2.2 million people are affected by non-communicable diseases, partly because people are not eating a balanced diet.
Free trade remains ‘core’ Swiss value despite Trump tariffs
This content was published on
Swiss President Karin Keller-Sutter says Switzerland remains committed to free trade despite a new 31% tariff on Swiss exports to the United States.
Government plans tightening anti-Covid restrictions
This content was published on
Interior Minister Berset says further measures will be introduced, if steps taken at the weekend to slow the spread of Covid-19 proved insufficient.
This content was published on
The second wave of Covid-19 has arrived in Switzerland faster and stronger than expected, according to the federal health authorities.
Swiss parliamentary session to go ahead despite Covid-19 spike
This content was published on
Special House of Representatives session scheduled for next Thursday and Friday will still take place, despite the steep rise in coronavirus cases.
You can find an overview of ongoing debates with our journalists here . Please join us!
If you want to start a conversation about a topic raised in this article or want to report factual errors, email us at english@swissinfo.ch.